3 cups shredded zucchini (2-3 medium), or 1 cup zucchini plus one 15 oz. can crushed pineapple
1 2/3 cups sugar
2/3 cup vegetable oil
2 tsp. vanilla
4 large eggs
3 cups whole wheat flour (of course it works with all-purpose too, but the whole wheat makes this such a nutritious snack!)
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground cloves
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 cup raisins or dried cranberries (optional)
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- Move oven rack to a lower position so tops of pans will be in center of oven. Heat oven to 400 degrees and grease muffin pans.
- Combine zucchini, sugar, oil, vanilla and eggs. Then add remaining ingredients except raisins and nuts.
- Spoon batter into muffin pans evenly. (I make one pan of regular sized muffins and two pans of mini-muffins with this recipe.)
- Bake mini-muffins for 10 minutes or until a tester in muffin center comes out clean. Bake regular muffins for 12-15 minutes until done in middle.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes in pans. Then place muffins on platter to cool completely.
- Don't expect them to last long! :)