4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (about 1 lb.) sliced in bite-sized pieces
1 lb. dried navy beans or dried cannellini beans (or 3 14-oz. cans of either)
8 cups water (if cooking beans, 4 for soaking, 4 for cooking)
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup flour
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
2 cups half-and-half
2 cups milk (1%, 2%, or whole)
2 tsp. chili powder
2 tsp. coriander
1 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. salt, to taste
Dash of Tabasco seasoning
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 medium onions, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1/2 cup fresh mushrooms, sliced (optional)
juice of 1 lime
1 Tbs. white wine vinegar
1 4-oz. can mild green chilies, drained (optional)
1 14-oz can sweet corn (or 2 cups frozen corn)
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
1 1/2 cups monterey jack cheese
1/2 cup sour cream
- Soak beans in 4 cups water overnight. Drain. For a quick-soak, heat beans with 4 cups water to boiling in large pot, and then turn off heat and let sit for one hour. Drain.
- Add 4 cups fresh water to beans. Bring to boil over medium high heat. Reduce heat to low and let simmer for 1 1/2-2 hours until beans are tender. Set aside.
- Stir-fry chicken in 2 Tbs. oil over medium-high heat. Set aside.
- In separate pot, melt butter on medium-high heat. Add onions, bell pepper, and mushrooms. Stir-fry until tender.
- Stir in flour and cook about 2 minutes. Add broth, half-and-half, and milk. Bring mixture to a boil and simmer for about 5 minutes until thickened.
- Stir in chili powder, cumin, salt, Tabasco, cilantro, lime juice, and vinegar.
- Then add beans, chicken, chilies, corn, and cheese and cook mixture over medium-low heat, stirring for 15 minutes.
- Turn off heat and stir in sour cream. Serve plain or over rice. Garnish with springs of cilantro. Enjoy!