- 2 1/4 cups whole hazelnuts (I bought a big bag from Trader Joe's)
- 1 bag bittersweet chocolate chips (I used Ghiradelli's with 60% cacao)
- 1 bag milk chocolate chips
- 5 TBSP coconut oil (my new favorite ingredient) OR similar oil
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 TBSP cocoa powder
- 4 TBSP powdered sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spread the 2 1/4 cups of hazelnuts on a baking sheet and bake for about 13 minutes.
- During the baking time, pour both of the bags of chocolate into a microwaveable bowl and heat for 1 1/2 minutes. Stir the chocolate and microwave for another 1 1/2 minutes (it should be melted but if not, continue heating at intervals of 30 seconds - checking each time). Set this bowl aside.
- Remove the nuts from the oven and pour them onto a dry towel. Use the towel to rub off as much of the flaky skins as possible...don't attempt to get every single bit, just the majority of it off.
- Pour the nuts into a food processor and process for about 3 minutes (or until the nuts have become a paste). You might need to stop halfway and scrape the sides a bit and then continue processing.
- Measure the remainder of the ingredients (except the melted chocolate) into a bowl and then add to the nut paste. Process until combined.
- Lastly, add the melted chocolate and process until well combined.
- Pour into containers that can be sealed. It will be very runny at first - but it will firm up.
- If you are not going to consume this tasty treat for a while, you could freeze it. I usually give away a couple of jars, freeze one and keep the last two in our cupboard for immediate use :) Take NOTE: to make it softer for spreading, place the microwaveable (glass) jar in the microwave for 15 seconds...that should soften it up a bit for spreading.