- 1 cup cooked quinoa (I have used leftover quinoa from Quinoa Taco night) or 1/2 cup dry quinoa if it's uncooked
- 3/4 of a pound of ground beef (or ground turkey)
- 1 tsp Olive Oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 TBSP ketchup
- 2 TBSP Worcestershire sauce
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Topping: 2 TBSP packed brown sugar, 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce, 1 tsp water
- If your quinoa is not already cooked, then measure out 1/2 cup dry quinoa and 1 cup water into a small pot. Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat to low, cover with a lid and simmer for 12-15 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- In a pan, heat the Olive Oil over medium-high heat and add the onions. Stir and cook for a few minutes, or until they are softened. Add the garlic and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Mix up the topping in a small bowl and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the uncooked meat, the cooled quinoa, the cooked onions and garlic, and all other remaining ingredients. It is best if you can mix this all together with your hands.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a loaf pan with tinfoil. Fill with the mixture and pour the topping over the entire meatloaf.
- Bake for 50 minutes, making sure the meat is no longer pink and totally cooked. I like to pour a little of the grease out when I remove it from the oven. Let it cool a little before serving because it will be very hot.