I hardly know what to do with all the rhubarb in our garden...except make coffee cake. This was adapted from this recipe I scrounged off allrecipes.com, but the variation worked out nicely, bundt pan and all! The kids think they like rhubarb now, although they have no idea what it tastes like raw, stripped of the sugar and butter...
1/3 cup butter, softned
1 cup sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
2 cups flour
1 Tbs. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup milk
2 1/2 cups diced fresh or frozen rhubarb, thawed
3/4 packed brown sugar
1/4 cup butter, melted
1 tsp. cinnamon
- In large mixing bowl cream butter and sugar together.
- Add egg and vanilla and mix well.
- Next combine flour, baking powder and salt in separate bowl and add to creamed mixture.
- Add milk, then fold in rhubarb.
- Pour into a greased bundt pan.
- In small bowl combine topping ingredients and sprinkle mixture over the top of bundt cake.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45-55 minutes, until a toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. The topping sinks into the cake for a fun middle layer.
- Served warm with milk, it's pretty sublime.